the hot ‘dog days’ of summer
here in toronto, we are experiencing a record high for summer temperatures…and it doesn’t seem to be letting up anytime soon.
here is my list of tips for keeping your dogs cool this summer:
1. if you don’t have central air, limit them to the lower floors in your home…
or find other ways to help the air circulate, while making your dog feel like a supermodel.
2. take them to the closest body of water for a refreshing swim.
3. if you don’t have water nearby, fill up a kiddie pool for them to take a dip in…
or better yet run the sprinkler for them to attack!
4. be cautious when you take them to the beach. the scorching hot sand can burn their foot pads. test it on your feet first.
5. limit their time in direct sunlight during the hottest hours of the day. not only can they develop heat exhaustion, they can get a sunburn on their nose and skin.
6. make sure there is available shade for them when they are outside (ie. a tree, under the porch).
7. always leave fresh cool water available to them at home or try tossing them a few ice cubes to crunch on…they might enjoy it!
8. always bring fresh water on your daily walks…
or find it if you forget your bottle (like i do).
9. make sure you keep their hair trimmed during the hot months.
10. never leave them in the car. NEVER EVER…even for 5 minutes!
and remember, cats can overheat too, so make sure to keep your kitties cool too!
if you have any other great tips on how to keep your animals cool, please leave them in the comment section below.
ENJOY THE SUMMER!